Have you ever had one of those weeks where you really just wanted to escape for awhile? To just get away from the crowds, the hustle and bustle of daily life, and live simply — I crave that kind of a lifestyle every now and then. And when I do, I know it’s time for a little R&R (rest and relaxation).
I will say that when I’m really stressed, I almost always default to my top three favorite calming activities:
- Take a nap (your girl loves her beauty sleep, okay?)
- Do a little yoga (a little stretchin’ never hurt nobody!)
- Retail therapy (don’t even ask me about last weekend…)
But on the occasion that I’m really pushed to the edge of my capacity for handling people and conflicts and details, here are a few other ways I choose to unwind:
- Tea time: I’ll brew up a nice, strong pot of herbal loose leaf tea. I love the ones with chocolaty undertones. I’ll sit in my reading chair with a good book and a jumbo mug of tea, and get lost in the great land of imagination.
- Get unplugged. Yes, me, the social media butterfly. I’ve gone days and even weeks staying off of social media when I really needed a break. Sometimes, your mind needs a little breather to focus on the more important things in life, and it’s important to not leave your mental health neglected. Don’t be afraid to put down the phone, tablet, TV (yes, including Netflix) and go back to basics. Maybe it’s time for a little pampering?
- Spa day: This can be as extravagant or low-key as you choose for it to be. Go see a masseuse, get a spa facial, manicure, pedicure, hot stone treatment — heck, scour through Groupon to see if you can score a great deal on a little “me” time! Luxury treatment not in your budget? Stop by Lush, ULTA, or DIY your own face masks, draw a bubble bath, and spoil yourself without ever leaving your home.
Of course, no matter what you choose, the dress code for your personal getaway should always be comfy-casual. Highlighting my bohemian side helps to get me into the right mindset for these stress-relieving days. I also tend to include lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, plenty of acoustic music, and a free-spirited attitude while I prance around in bare feet. Peace and love, dudes and dudettes.